After racking up five Golden Globe nominations (but no wins, sadly), Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman, the true-life Netflix crime drama filmed partially in Westchester, has turned out to be one of the leading films in terms of 2020 Oscar nods. Back in 2017 the film was spotted filming around Yonkers, using Empire City Casino as their base of operations.
Just announced on Monday, January 13, nominees for the 92nd Academy Awards include ten for the epic film, including Best Picture, Best Director, two supporting actor noms, and a host of technical awards. Here’s the full list:
• Supporting Actor — Al Pacino
• Supporting Actor — Joe Pesci
• Director — Martin Scorsese
• Editing — Thelma Schoonmaker
• Cinematography — Rodrigo Prieto
• Costume Design — Sandy Powell & Christopher Peterson
• Production Design — Bob Shaw & Regina Graves
• Adapted Screenplay — Steven Zaillian
• Visual Effects — Pablo Helman, Leandro Estebecorena, Nelson Sepulveda-Fauser and Stephane Grabli
• Best Motion Picture of the Year
Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and WWI epic 1917 also received ten nominations, with only DC Comics’ Todd Phillips-directed Joker receiving 11.
The 92nd annual Academy Awards will air on ABC at 6:30 p.m. EST on February 9, 2020. Tune in then to see which films take home the trophies!