During the Battle of White Plains in the Revolutionary War, Generals Charles Lee and George Washington himself used the North White Plains home of Elijah and Ann Miller as their headquarters command post.
After the war, the 2,978 sq. ft. Rhode Island-style farmhouse had existed in private ownership until 1917, at which point the White Plains Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) purchased it. It was then turned over to the county and operated as a museum jointly with the DAR. In 1994, during the administration of County Executive Andrew O’Rourke, the two parted ways, and the museum continued running under county control. It was later closed, around 2007, as it fell into a state of disrepair.
On April 26, 2019, state legislators, Miller House advocates, and the Westchester County government announced they would refurbish and upgrade the site, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Upgrades include structural improvements and a new roof, as well as thermal, plumbing, and electrical work. Additionally, a new, 772 sq. ft., visitors’ center was constructed so that local students and residents could learn more about the North Castle landmark. As part of the overhaul, even access routes for school buses were improved.
County Executive George Latimer said during an October 28 ribbon-cutting ceremony — which was attended by direct descendants of Ann and Elijah — that the Miller House “is not just a historic building that we wanted to honor…. This building tells you something about who George Washington was when he was here. Something about the American spirit is what this house is about.”
Meanwhile, Sharon Tomback, Town of North Castle co-town historian and representative of Daughters of Liberty’s Legacy, adds, “This restoration project once again allows visitors to touch, feel, and experience America’s early history.”
Editor’s note: In November, the Daughters of Liberty’s Legacy debuted “Patriot in a Petticoat: The Life of Ann Fisher Miller,” a two-hour visual, historical depiction of life in Westchester from about 1755 to 1790, through the eyes of the title character.