Reports of a shooting at Westchester Medical Center this morning made headlines around the county, later developments revealing two people died in an apparent murder-suicide incident, a married couple from the Town of Yorktown. Here’s what we know so far:
• At approximately 9:39 a.m. this morning reports came in of shots fired at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.
• Officials have assured the public there is no on-going threat and the incident was isolated.
• Officers responded within minutes, joining hospital security, finding two people in their seventies, a man on the floor and a woman in bed, dead at the scene. The two were alone in the room on the fourth floor.
• A .38-caliber revolver registered to the man was found nearby.
• Hospital staff have reported the couple were husband and wife, but county Public Safety Commissioner Tom Gleason has stated that their relationship was not immediately known, though he did describe it as a “family-type situation.” A press release from the County Executive’s office later identified the couple as Richard (71) and Anne (70) DeLucia, a married couple from Yorktown.
• A note was found at the couple’s home this afternoon in which Richard DeLucia wished to end his wife’s suffering from her medical issues.
This is a developing story. Westchester Magazine will keep you updated as new details emerge.