The Landmark Condominium, Tarrytown, NY

Former Life: In 1896, the Village of Tarrytown tore down an old stone house that had inspired a scene in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. A school went up in its place, on a grassy knoll overlooking the Village. Called the Washington Irving School, the magnificent brick-and-terra-cotta structure had an Elizabethan façade with four gables and a Tudor porch. In 1926, a larger school took the Washington Irving name, and this one became the F. R. Pierson School, after a local florist and Village president. It was closed altogether in 1979 as new schools were built.

New Life: Four years later, an Italian architect and developer named Rosaria Piomelli bought the school for $400,000 and converted it to 39 luxury apartments. Each classroom became a two-bedroom apartment and the auditorium was turned into five two-story apartments. The building sports new windows, custom-made to historic specifications.

Amenities: Parking, washer/dryer in each unit, Hudson River views.

- Advertisement -

To Buy: A two-bedroom, two-bath duplex is listed for $487,000.

Our Wine & Food Festival returns June 4-9!

Our Wunderkinds event takes place on May 23!

Our Best of Business Ballot is open through May 15!

Our Healthcare Heroes Awards event takes place on May 9!

Our Westchester Home Builders Awards take place on April 4!

Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Forum is March 14!

Unveiled: A Boutique Bridal Brunch is February 25!

Our Best of Westchester Elimination Ballot is open through March 6!

Holiday flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%

Limited time offer. New subscribers only.