Rye High School, Middle School Evacuated After Bomb Threat

Students at Rye High School and Middle School were rapidly evacuated early on Tuesday after Rye High School Principal Patricia Taylor contacted the Rye City Police Department regarding an alleged bomb threat she said the school had received.

Rye City School District Superintendent Frank Alvarez sent out an email to students’ parents shortly after, informing them that all students had been temporarily evacuated and relocated to Osborn and Midland elementary schools while police officers searched and cleared the school.

“All students are safe… please do not attempt to pick up your child at this time,” read Alvarez’ email. “We will contact you later if we need you to do so. It is our hope that the children will be able to re-enter the building shortly.”

- Advertisement -

Students had returned to classes  by 11:45 am, after police officers, with the help of bomb-sniffing dogs, declared the building safe. No bomb or evidence of a bomb was found.

“An investigation as to the origin of the threat is now underway,” Alvarez said in a follow-up statement, adding that there were no distinguished suspects. “Our highest priority is the safety of our students, faculty and staff.”

The bomb threat comes only a few weeks after a student was rumored to have brought a gun to the school. Parents were later informed by Alvarez that the student had been disciplined in accordance with official protocol, although it has not been confirmed whether a gun was actually present on school grounds at any time.

You can read Alvarez’ full statement released during the bomb investigation here.

Our Healthcare Heroes Awards event takes place on May 9!

Our Westchester Home Builders Awards take place on April 4!

Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Forum is March 14!

Unveiled: A Boutique Bridal Brunch is February 25!

Our Best of Westchester Elimination Ballot is open through March 6!

Holiday flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%

Limited time offer. New subscribers only.