Former Life: The Ossining National Bank, joined in 1945 by the County Trust Company, held pride of place at the corner of Main Street and Central Avenue from 1906 to 1983, anchoring what is known as the Barlow Block. Its stone Renaissance Revival façade was actually a remodel of an older Victorian Italianate façade. The bank survived urban renewal in the mid 1970s, when much of the downtown met with the wrecking ball, but was boarded up for years afterward.
New Life: A consortium of affordable housing groups bought the building in 2008 and resold it to Trinity Associates. The developer restored the façade and gutted the interior to create 12 new open-concept apartments, some with spiral staircases, for first-time homebuyers on limited incomes.
Amenities: Laundry area in basement; Energy Star appliances; close to train, library, and village community center.
To Buy: Two units are left, priced under $200,000. Schatz Realty Group; (914) 274-7021; westchester.gov/ossining-tb.