Type to search

Hoverboard Explodes And Causes Fire In Chappaqua

Share

A Swagway electric skateboard burst into flames in a Chappaqua home Sunday, the latest in a string of incidents involving the popular holiday gift.

The Chappaqua Fire Department responded to a fire at the home on Lori Lane in Chappaqua and reported that an electric malfunction caused the Swagway Smart Balancing Electric Skateboard to explode and catch fire. 

The homeowners were home during the fire, which prevented significant damage, according to the Chappaqua Fire Department. 

The electric skateboards, often referred to as hoverboards, have been blamed for a series of fires across the country. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has received “at least 10” reports of hoverboard fires, agency spokesman Scott Wolfson told NBC News Thursday. The CPSC is looking into the safety of the entire product line and wants to “move our investigation forward as quickly as possible.”

Some places aren’t waiting for the CPSC recommendation. Online retailer Overstock.com announced it will no longer sell the product, citing safety concerns. The product has been banned on Delta, United, and American Airlines flights, as well as at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next month.

When Delta announced its ban, it cited the devices’ “poorly labeled, powerful lithium-ion batteries” as the main issue.

;

Get Westchester's Best Restaurants Guide for FREE! 

Keep a pulse on local food, art, and entertainment content when you join our Westchester newsletter.

No thank you
Westchester Magazine's Best Restaurants