A Westchester resident became quite the lucky champ this past weekend, as a winning Powerball ticket worth $1 million was sold at New Roc Deli & Grocery on North Avenue in New Rochelle. The winning numbers from last Saturday’s drawing were 5-25-26-44-66 and Powerball 9. The fortunate risk-taker correctly picked the primary sequence of five, but didn’t nail that elusive Powerball number.
The ticket—bought for a whopping $2—was one of three second-prize winners in New York, the other two being sold on Long Island. The top prize, a comfy $429 million, was purchased at a 7-Eleven in Trenton, New Jersey. However, neither claimant hasn’t come forward as of yet, so it’s worth looking high and low, because hey, those tickets might just be sitting around in some torn 7-Eleven shopping bag or rain gutter.
Assuming that’s unlikely, we’re still here to get your hopes up about the chances of hitting a future jackpot and enjoying smooth sailing for the rest of your life. Here’s list of some big Westchester winners from just within the past few years:
• Back in January 2014, Julieta Ribeiro of Scarsdale snagged a nice $1 million take from New York Poker.
• In March 2014, Mount Vernon resident Anthony Sawyer won $1 million from Powerball.
• Darlene Smith of Valhalla took home $3 million from Instant Millionaire circa February 2015.
• Around the same time, New Rochelle’s Gary Phillips claimed $1 million from Powerball, as evidence that there is some sort of luck floating around the atmosphere of that town.
• In September 2015, four fortunate Yonkers residents—Edgar Lopez, Manuel Hernandez, Acela Hernandez, and Miguel Acosta—took home a share of a $106 million Mega Millions prize.
• And lastly, just this past March, Roberto Tripodi of Valhalla secured a solid $1 million for himself from Mega Millions. All in a deli-trip’s work.