Hoverboard Explodes And Causes Fire In Chappaqua

A Swagway electric skateboard burst into flames in a Chappaqua home Sunday, the latest in a string of incidents involving the popular holiday gift.

The Chappaqua Fire Department responded to a fire at the home on Lori Lane in Chappaqua and reported that an electric malfunction caused the Swagway Smart Balancing Electric Skateboard to explode and catch fire. 

The homeowners were home during the fire, which prevented significant damage, according to the Chappaqua Fire Department. 

- Advertisement -

The electric skateboards, often referred to as hoverboards, have been blamed for a series of fires across the country. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has received “at least 10” reports of hoverboard fires, agency spokesman Scott Wolfson told NBC News Thursday. The CPSC is looking into the safety of the entire product line and wants to “move our investigation forward as quickly as possible.”

Some places aren’t waiting for the CPSC recommendation. Online retailer Overstock.com announced it will no longer sell the product, citing safety concerns. The product has been banned on Delta, United, and American Airlines flights, as well as at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next month.

When Delta announced its ban, it cited the devices’ “poorly labeled, powerful lithium-ion batteries” as the main issue.

Our Westchester Home Design Awards event is June 26!

Our Wine & Food Festival returns June 4-9!

Our Wunderkinds event takes place on May 23!

Our Best of Business Ballot is open through May 15!

Our Healthcare Heroes Awards event takes place on May 9!

Our Westchester Home Builders Awards take place on April 4!

Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Forum is March 14!

Unveiled: A Boutique Bridal Brunch is February 25!

Our Best of Westchester Elimination Ballot is open through March 6!

Holiday flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%

Limited time offer. New subscribers only.