Update 10/26 — Per The New York Times, a Florida man originally from New York has been arrested in connection with the bombings. The Times identify the man as 56 year-old Cesar Sayoc, Jr.
Sayoc reportedly is a registered republican with a lengthy criminal history which includes making bomb threats, and was living with his mother as of a bankruptcy filing in 2012, though it appears he may have been living out of a large white van which was taken by authorities following his arrest.
Update 10/25 — As CNN reports, a total of 10 suspected explosive devices have now been intercepted by U.S. authorities. They include the packages previously sent to George Soros and Hillary Clinton in Westchester and President Obama in Washington, as well as one addressed to former CIA director John Brennan at CNN headquarters in New York City, one to former Attorney General Eric Holder (returned to Democratic Senator Debbie Wasserman Schultz whose name and address have been used on several of the packages), one at the D.C. offices of Congresswoman Maxine Waters and another addressed to her discovered at a mail facility in Los Angeles, two in Delaware addressed to former Vice President Joe Biden, and one to actor Robert De Niro in Tribecca.
A full investigation is underway.
Update 10/24 — The U.S. Secret Service released a statement this morning stating that similar packages were intercepted in routine mail screenings en route to the Chappaqua address of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, as well as the Washington, D.C. residence of Former President Barack Obama.
• “Suspicious packages” were identified as “potential explosive devices” during what the Secret Service says in its official statement were routine mail screenings, and “appropriately handled as such.”
• The package sent to Clinton was intercepted late on Tuesday, October 23. A second package addressed to President Obama was intercepted in Washington early Wednesday morning.
• Neither of the Secret Service’s protectees received the packages, “nor were they at risk of receiving them,” according to the statement.
• Also on Wednesday morning, CNN’s offices in Manhattan were evacuated after a similar device was sent there and made its way into their offices, a law enforcement official said.
• According to the Secret Service, the agency has “initiated a full scope criminal investigation that will leverage all available federal, state, and local resources to determine the source of the packages and identify those responsible.”
Westchester Magazine will continue coverage of this story as it develops. Original story below:
Monday afternoon, a small explosive device was discovered in the mailbox of billionaire philanthropist George Soros’ Katonah residence.
No one was injured and the investigation is still ongoing. Here’s everything you need to know as the story unfolds:
• Bedford Police received a call around 3:45 p.m. on Monday, October 22, from an employee of the residence.
• The 88-year-old Soros was not home at the time.
• The relatively small device was discovered when an employee opened a package, after which they carefully placed the device outside in a wooded area, according to the Bedford police.
• Federal and state law enforcement agents responded, and the bomb squad proceeded with a controlled detonation of the device.
• There was no clear motive behind the attempted bombing, though Soros has often been demonized by right-wing groups for his support of liberal social policies and campaign contributions to democrats.
• The New York Times reports that the investigation is open, and is now being handled by the New York offices of both the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
Westchester Magazine will update this story if and when new details become available.