As Westchester residents are well aware, one among many lifestyle assets at our disposal is convenient access to major medical centers providing state-of-the-art care. But don’t take our word for it—here is just a handful of the many recent accolades received by hospitals in the area.
1. In its 2013-2014 “Best Hospitals” rankings, U.S. News & World Report named Northern Westchester Hospital among the “Best Regional Hospitals” in five specialties: urology, gynecology, geriatrics, orthopedics, and neurology.â€„The magazine also ranked the renowned NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, which has a Westchester Division, fourth best in the country for psychiatric services, and called St. John’s Riverside Hospital a high performer in the fields of nephrology and orthopedics.
2. White Plains Hospital, which is doubling the size of its cancer program by renovating the Dickstein Cancer Treatment Center and constructing an adjoining six-story building (with completion expected in 2015), received the 2012 Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer and is also a nine-time winner of the Consumer Choice Award given by the National Research Corporation. (Its affiliate, Lawrence Hospital in Bronxville, is also undergoing expansion for improved cancer care.)
3. Westchester Medical Center has been the recent recipient of numerous honors, including repeated HealthGrades Cardiac Surgery and Bariatric Surgery excellence awards. HealthGrades has also singled out St. John’s Riverside to receive its 5-Star Award recognizing Excellence in Maternity Care for six years running.
4. Despite financial difficulties that precipitated a late 2013 takeover by New York City-based Montefiore Medical Center, Sound Shore Medical Center is one of only 307 hospitals in the country, one of 12 in New York State, and the first and only in Westchester to merit certification by The Joint Commission in both hip and knee joint replacements. The Sound Shore Health System includes not only the 252-bed Sound Shore Medical Center in New Rochelle but also the 196-bed Mount Vernon Hospital.
5. Recognizing the high level of care for stroke patients, Hudson Valley Hospital Center, Northern Westchester Hospital, Phelps Memorial Hospital Center, St. John’s Riverside Hospital, and White Plains Hospital have all received a “Gold Plus” Quality Achievement Award through the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association “Get With The Guidelines” program.
Westchester County Medical Society
Westchester County Department of Health
Westchester County Department of Social Services
Hudson Valley Hospital Center
Lawrence Hospital Center (Bronxville)
The Mount Vernon Hospital (Mount Vernon)
Northern Westchester Hospital (Mount Kisco)
Phelps Memorial Hospital (Sleepy Hollow)
Sound Shore Medical Center (New Rochelle)
St. John’s Riverside Hospital
Andrus Pavilion (Yonkers)
ParkCare Pavilion (Yonkers) 914-964-7300
Dobbs Ferry Pavilion
St. Joseph’s Medical Center (Yonkers)
White Plains Hospital Center (White Plains)
Four Winds Hospital (Katonah)
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Westchester Division (White Plains)
St. Vincent’s Westchester (Harrison)
Other Hospital Facilities
Blythedale Children’s Hospital (Valhalla)
Burke Rehabilitation &
VA Hudson Valley Health Care (Montrose)