Who: Interior Designer Denise Davies, Owner & CEO, D2 Interieurs, Weston, CT
Design Philosophy: “I have, I hope, an infectious joie de vivre and unique perspective, fusing modern sophistication, timeless style, and a dash of rock ’n’ roll.”
Inspirations: Travel, magazines, museums, art shows, and my teenage kids. “There is a whole new world out there, and I enjoy seeing it through their eyes.”
Influences: Growing up in a 1920s Miami Beach art-deco home with original hand-painted tile floors, wall frescoes, arches, and tons of character. Also, living in Italy, in an 18th-century apartment with modern and minimal interiors, “taught me how to mix the modern and the old world.”
Bowery Chair by Katy Skelton
Hottest Design Trends:
1. Unmatching lighting or furniture. “The days of matching are over. A room should look curated, like it’s been there forever, not like the designer just left the building.”
2. Black, with every room having at least one black element.
3. Making the kitchen more of a living space by combining different materials, eliminating some upper cabinets, and hanging art.
4. Muted palettes.
5. Scandinavian design.
Top Design Tips:
1. Buy pieces you absolutely love, and there will always be a home for them.
2. Incorporate vintage pieces and texture, to give a home a lived-in feeling.
3. Use color sparingly — think neutrals, with thoughtful pops of color infused throughout.
One-of-a-kind Moon Light by Ben & Aja Blanc. Beautifully handcrafted, sculptural, stark, and modern.
Go-To Home Design…
Shelter Mags (other than WH): Architectural Digest, Elle Decor, LUXE Interiors + Design, and Australian publications Belle, Adore, and Home Beautiful
Local Shops/Showrooms: Current Home (Scarsdale); Mariani Gardens (Armonk); Artistic Tile (White Plains); Nest Inspired Home (Rye)
NYC Shops/Showrooms: Ochre (lighting, furniture, and accessories); Matter (furniture and accessories); Homenature (furniture and accessories); Studio Four (textiles and rugs); ABC Home; Dune
Other Shops/Showrooms: In Venice, Calif.: Stahl and Band (furniture and lighting) and Huset (Scandinavian furnishings); in Barcelona: Neukölln (vintage midcentury furniture, art, and accessories); in Miami: Biscayne Boulevard vintage shops and the entire Design District
Brands/Designers: Linda Colletta (art); Allyson Monson (photography); Maya Romanoff (wall coverings); Eskayel (pillows and furniture); Heather Rosenman Ceramics (pottery); Lindsey Edelman (lighting); Kelly Wearstler, Verellen, and Knoll (furniture); Rebecca Atwood and Holly Hunt (textiles)