Photo by Adobe Stock | Sappheiros
White Plains-based expert Jeanette Veneziano, of Streamline Organizing, shares tips for a neat and tidy Westchester home in 2022.
After local special-ed teacher Jeanette Veneziano read Marie Kondo’s enormously popular books, she considered the possibility that her lifelong habit of tidying up could evolve into a business. Now, the White Plains resident is helping clients keep their spaces just-so with her new entrepreneurial venture, Streamline Organizing.
Here are some of Veneziano’s tips for an organized 2022:
- When cleaning up after the holidays, discard broken decorations or donate what you don’t love anymore before the next season.
- Evaluate your wardrobe at least twice a year. Assign a box for clothes to be donated and another for clothes to be consigned. Keep them in a designated spot in your home until they are filled.
- Organize closets (a popular method for some is arranging items by the colors of the rainbow).
- If organizing an entire room feels stressful, focus on one small space at a time. When tidying, sort everything; evaluate what you want to keep and assign a space for it in the home. Then think about the containers for items so the containers will fit the space, instead of trying to make the space fit the containers. For example, if you want to store puzzles in a specific cabinet in the family room for easy access, consider discarding the boxes the puzzles came in and putting the pieces in plastic or reusable bags.
- Declutter playrooms by putting some toys in storage. Veneziano says kids will be excited when you take their “new” toys out on a rainy day.
- At the end of every day, spend five or 10 minutes as a family putting everything back where it belongs.