Spring cleaning sounds like a chore, but it doesn’t have to be. It might seem overwhelming, but a well-organized closet is a beautiful thing, and refreshing your belongings can be a fun and therapeutic way to really get into the springtime season. These tips from interior designer Joanne Palumbo, formerly an Allied ASID at California Closets, will help you organize your closet and get you on your way to a tidier and more relaxing spring.
Purge! Take an inventory of what you have and create two piles: one for donations, and one of items to keep. Do you really need 16 different pairs of sandals?
The goal of your springtime closet cleanout is to be able to see everything for easy access and saved time in the morning. Digging through your closet’s depths for the exact right shirt you know is somewhere but can’t quite remember is not worth being late to work every other day.
• Dresses: Measure your longest dress and make sure you have the space to hang them. Hanging them in size order will make it easier for you to go through them.
• Pants and Shirts: Just like with the dresses, make sure you have rods that fit your shirts and pants as well. You can double these up next to where your dresses are hung to maximize space.
• Sweaters: If you have a lot of bulky shirts or sweaters, consider getting drawers to store them, but remember, all drawers are not created equal. Check the drawer depth before you buy to make sure they work for what you have.
• Outfits: A pull-out valet rod will definitely save you time every morning. It is a place where you can hang your outfit for the next day (accessories too) so you can easily get dressed without the chaos each morning.
• Jewelry and Accessories: Drawers, bins, or baskets work best for smaller items like jewelry and accessories.
• Shoes: Slanted shoe shelves are amazing. You can see everything at a glance so it’s easier to grab a pair and go.
• Dirty Clothes: Everyone has dirty clothes, but no one wants to see them. Consider adding a pull-out hamper that is neatly tucked away out of sight.
Summer flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%
Limited time offer. New subscribers only.