Westchester Restaurant Openings: Fortina, The Stone Manor @ 101, The Wine Cellar of Rye Brook, and a Poolside Grotto Sake Party

The 4:00 Cookie and certified sake sommeliers have found their way to County eateries

Italian fare cooked in wood-fired ovens is the focus at Fortina (17 Maple Ave, Armonk 914-273-0900; fortinapizza.com), a 130-seat restaurant with Chopped winner Christian Petroni in the kitchen. The imaginative pizza menu ($11-$21) includes such pies as fiorella (squash blossom, burrata, anchovy); Italian cheesesteak (onion confit, provolone, mozzarella, bresaola); funghi (roasted mushrooms, talleggio, bone marrow); and chicken polpette (chicken liver and heart, provolone, cippolini, tomato). A prime dry-aged rib-eye Fiorentina-style and wood-fired paccheri pasta with baby veal meatballs in a béchamel sauce are other dishes to try. Fortina serves lunch Monday to Friday, dinner every day, and brunch on Sunday. Petroni is a co-owner at Cooked & Co. in Scarsdale

The owners of Casa Rina in Thornwood and The Goldfish Oyster Bar in Ossining have opened The Stone Manor @ 101 (101 Saw Mill River Rd, Hawthorne 914-703-4112; thestonemanor101.com) in the space that once housed Tino’s Villa Italian Steak House. On the menu at the 120-seat Mediterranean steakhouse: a 22-oz rib-eye, 14-oz twin veal chops, a 20-oz prime rib, grilled swordfish, maple-glazed wild salmon, and a short-rib burger. All cuts are Black Angus Certified and come with a choice of five sauces. Lunch is served Monday to Friday and dinner every day

Certified Sake Sommelier Chizuko Niikawa-Helton will be pouring Hakkaisan Junmai Ginjo, unpasteurized sunflower yeast Amabuki, and a Nanbu Bijin plum sake at Castle Hotel & Spa’s (400 Benedict Ave, Tarrytown 914-631-3646; castlehotelandspa.com) Poolside Grotto Sake Party Thursday, August 15, from 7 to 9 pm. Chef Marc Lippman’s menu of fried oysters with sriracha and oshinko, Peking duck spring rolls, and soft-shell crab sliders with ginger aioli complement the sake and assorted sake cocktails. Reservations are required and the cost is $68

- Advertisement -

 Tarrytown resident Debra Holstein launched The 4:00 Cookie (4oclockcookie.com) this past March to provide a sweet yet relatively healthy alternative to combat the afternoon sugar craving. “Something diabolic happens around 3 or 4 pm and many people, but especially women, crave something sweet.” Holstein says the treats people typically turn to are made with white sugar—the consumption of which often results in a sugar-rush crash-and-burn. The 4oclockcookie, produced in a Mamaroneck commercial kitchen, instead uses low-glycemic coconut flour sugar plus whole-wheat flour, oats, flax, and dried fruits and nuts ($2.50-$3 per cookie). Among the six flavors: cherry, dark chocolate, and hazelnut; fig, dark chocolate, and coconut; wild blueberry almond; cranberry trail mix; chocolate cherry; and chocolate macadamia crunch. Visit the website for the 16 Westchester locations that sell the cookies // The Wine Cellar of Rye Brook (Rye Ridge Shopping Center, 122 S Ridge St, Rye Brook no phone as of press time) will open by end of summer; approximately 70 percent of the boutique wine shop’s bottles are from established vineyards while the remaining 30 percent originate from low-yielding, small-batch, and lesser-known producers

The first Tim Hortons (timhortons.com), a Canadian-based coffee-and-donut chain with more than 3,000 locations in Canada and 600 in the US, is scheduled to open in the White Plains Metro-North station.

Our Wine & Food Festival returns June 4-9!

Our Wunderkinds event takes place on May 23!

Our Best of Business Ballot is open through May 15!

Our Healthcare Heroes Awards event takes place on May 9!

Our Westchester Home Builders Awards take place on April 4!

Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Forum is March 14!

Unveiled: A Boutique Bridal Brunch is February 25!

Our Best of Westchester Elimination Ballot is open through March 6!

Holiday flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%

Limited time offer. New subscribers only.