This herb-marinated grilled chicken is simple, easy to prepare, and flat-out fabulous! If you’re planning a barbecue this weekend and looking for an easy chicken recipe, this is the one!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes (depending on chicken breast thickness)
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 pounds)
½ cup dry white wine
4 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp fresh chopped herbs (I used chives, thyme and parsley)
2 shallots, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 lemons, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place chicken breasts in a large shallow glass baking dish. Pour wine and olive oil over them evenly and sprinkle with the herbs, shallots and garlic. Turn the chicken breasts several times to coat them well.
2. Top the breasts with lemon slices and marinate in refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Before cooking, remove from refrigerator and let sit about an hour until room temperature.
3. Set grill to high heat.
4. Remove chicken from marinade and set aside lemon slices. Season chicken with salt and pepper and grill on hottest part of the fire for about 7-9 minutes per side, spooning leftover marinade over each as they cook.
5. Meanwhile, grill the lemon slices for a couple of minutes per side until slightly charred. Remove from grill and set aside.
6. Move chicken away from direct heat, close lid, and cook for another 5 minutes until cooked through (you may need to do this longer if you like your chicken more well done).
7. Remove from grill, place on a platter, and top with grilled lemon slices. Cover loosely with aluminum foil for about 5 minutes to let the chicken rest. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Fresh Every Day by Sara Foster. Find the full version of this recipe, along with more photos, here.
Felicia Levinson is the founder of Unwritten Recipes, a blog about her adventures in baking and cooking. She was a professional dancer, toured 42nd Street, and has taught at dance studios in New York and the tristate area. When not experimenting in the kitchen at her home in Larchmont, Levinson writes musicals, comedies, dramas, and revues with her partner of more than 20 years.