Photo by Andre Baranowski
Refreshing and light, this salad is the perfect antidote for a hot summer evening. It’s bursting with seasonal ingredients available at your local farmers’ market: juicy watermelon; ripe heirloom tomatoes, in beautiful yellow, red, and orange hues; and sweet-smelling herbs. Choose a mild feta that won’t overpower the fresh produce. Serves 4-6.
- 3 lbs watermelon, preferably seedless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1½ lbs heirloom tomatoes (or other large tomato, such as beefsteak), cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¾ tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- lime wedges, for serving
- Place the watermelon and tomatoes in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss gently and then drain excess liquid from the bowl.
- Add the basil, mint, and feta, and toss gently to combine.
- Drizzle the olive oil and lime juice over the salad. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and lime juice as needed. Serve with lime wedges.
Test Kitchen Tip: How to Store Basil
Basil is sensitive to cold. When wrapped up and stored in a fridge, its leaves will quickly wilt and brown. Extend the life of your basil by giving it room to breathe at room temperature. Trim the stems, as you would flowers, to remove dried-up ends, then stick the bunch in a tall glass of water. Loosely cover the basil with a plastic bag and keep it on the counter. Your basil will stay fresh for a week or more.