Photos courtesy of The Snackery
We haven’t seen hide nor “hare” or Peter Cottontail, but as the weather starts to warm we’re itching for the first real taste of spring.
Thankfully, Sara Leand, owner of The Snackery Bakeshop in Larchmont has been kind enough to share with us her recipe for the shop’s light and fluffy, perfect-for-tea or picnics strawberry shortcake biscuits!
Serves about 12
- 6 cups quartered strawberries
- ¼ cup + 2 TBSP granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBSP baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 TBSP heavy cream
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling
Stir the strawberries and ¼ cup granulated sugar together in a large bowl. Cover and set in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl or in a large food processor. Whisk or pulse until combined.
- Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or by pulsing several times in the processor. Pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- If you used a food processor, pour the mixture into a large bowl. Pour buttermilk on top. Stir everything together until just about combined. The dough will be very crumbly.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface and gently work it together in a ball using your hands. Gently flatten until it is evenly ½ inch thick.
- Cut into 3-inch circles. Re-roll any scraps until you have about 12 biscuits.
- Arrange in a 10-inch cast iron skillet or close together on a lined baking sheet. (Make sure they’re touching.)
- Brush the tops with 2 Tablespoons heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before assembling.
Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream, 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, and vanilla extract on medium-high speed until soft-medium peaks form, about 3 minutes.
Slice the biscuits in half and layer with strawberries and whipped cream. Serve immediately.