“I love to use spelt flour in these. You can substitute oat flour or even use all-purpose flour. You can use store-bought cranberry, raspberry, or cherry preserves in place of the cranberry jam.”
— Melanie Underwood, gatherculinary.com
Pistachio Cranberry Jam Thumbprint CookiesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
Everyone’s favorite thumbprint cookies get a seasonal twist with additions of cranberry and pistachio.
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup unsalted pistachios, finely ground
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup spelt flour
¼ tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp cranberry jam (recipe below or use store-bought)
- Cranberry Jam
1 12-oz bag fresh or frozen cranberries
1 orange, peeled and seeds removed, cut into eight pieces
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp freshly grated ginger (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F°.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, combine butter, sugar, and vanilla extract, and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy; about 5 minutes. Add ground pistachios and mix on low speed until combined; about 1 minute. Add the flours and salt and mix until completely combined. The dough will look slightly stiff.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop about 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a small ball. Place on the cookie sheet and, using your thumb, press down in the center of the dough to make a large circle. Place about half a teaspoon of the jam in the circle. You want the circle to be filled without overflowing.
- Place the cookie tray in the oven and bake about 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
- Cranberry Jam
- In a food processor, combine cranberries and orange segments and pulse until smooth. Remove from the processor and stir in the sugar and ginger, if using. Place in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes until thickened. Allow to cool before using.