(Courtesy of sherry b dessert studio in Chappaqua)
This moist cake-like quick bread works perfectly as a mildly sweet mid-morning snack or accompaniment to afternoon tea.
1/2 cup (8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 ripe bananas
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
• Butter and flour a standard loaf pan (9×4.5).
• Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed.
• Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
• Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
• In a small bowl, mash the bananas using a potato masher or a fork until a few small chunks remain. Add vanilla extract and stir to blend.
• With the mixer on low speed, add the flour and banana mixtures alternately in thirds, beginning and ending with the flour, mixing just to combine. Using a silicone spatula, scrape the bowl to make sure all ingredients are incorporated and batter is well blended.
• Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly out to the edges.
• Bake for 55 minutes until golden brown on top and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
• Cool completely in the pan.