Recipe from Chef Myong Feiner Global Grill@ Myong Gourmet
1 large firm Napa cabbage head (4-5 lbs)
3 Tbsp kosher salt (used to wilt the cabbage)
1 medium daikon
1 small carrot, shredded (about ½ cup)
½ cup Asian chives or scallions
½ apple or Asian pear
1 Tbsp ginger, peeled
½ red bell pepper, diced
6 garlic cloves
3 Tbsp Asian fish sauce
3 Tbsp rice flour (or over cooked white rice, made into a paste)
1 cup Korean kimchi pepper flakes
(all ingredients available at H-Mart)
1. Chop the head of Napa in 1-inch strips going across the whole head, making 1-inch by 2-inch strips
2. Place into a large bowl and salt the cabbage and set it aside.
3. Make the kimchi mix:
• Julienne daikon, carrot, and Asian chives and place into a large mixing bowl.
• In a blender, place the apple (cored, peeled, and sliced) and add the peeled ginger, diced bell pepper, garlic, and fish sauce. Add the rice flour or the paste you have made.
• Blend on high to create a purée. When finished, pour the purée into a large clean bowl. Drain the liquid from the cut Napa (important). Combine the purée onto the top of the Napa, add the red pepper flakes, and, using gloves, hand-mix well.
• Let the kimchi ferment in a sealed container in your fridge. Try a little each day to see how much fermenting you like.