FREELANCE WRITING OPPORTUNITIES
We are always on the lookout for fresh, dynamic voices to help fill the pages of our publications with entertaining and informative stories that resonate with our upscale, sophisticated, and loyal readership.
We accept queries from freelancers seeking assignments, as well as story pitches for any of our publications: Westchester Magazine, Westchester Home, 914INC., and Westchester/Hudson Valley Weddings. We seek generalists, as well as freelancers with specific expertise, especially in food/dining, business, investigative journalism, real estate/home, and health/wellness. A knowledge of, and passion for, Westchester County is a huge plus.
Specific pitches should be fully developed, concise, and crafted to fit well within one of our magazines’ existing rubrics or sections. If it’s a pitch for a feature, it should have broad appeal, be thoroughly outlined, and convey that the writer understands the magazine’s mission and audience.
Please submit cover letter (detailing any specific areas of expertise), resume, and relevant, published writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Westchester Magazine, a monthly regional lifestyle publication and part of media company Today Media, is seeking a Senior Editor to join its Rye, NY office. The position is focused on the ancillary business lifestyle publication, 914INC., though not exclusively so.
Today Media’s regional magazines reach more than 700,000 readers monthly. 914INC., which expanded from a quarterly to a bimonthly in 2021, is dedicated to serving the owners, executives, managers, entrepreneurs, and other professionals that make up our business community. 914INC. continues the traditions of Westchester Magazine with smart writing and stunning photography and layouts. From perceptive profiles of CEOs and kitchen-table entrepreneurs alike, to in-depth reporting on local business issues and business trends, to presentations of the best business tips, 914INC. is designed to inform, entertain, and make office life (and, yes, even life after five) even more enjoyable.
Westchester Magazine covers food & dining, education, real estate, arts & entertainment, beauty & style, personality profiles, and more in the county of near 1 million just north of NYC. Our mission is to produce publications you always look forward to.
The position’s duties include:
- Ensure that the 6x/year business lifestyle magazine and its digital spinoff, 914INC e-newsletter, deliver on the editorial mission covering Westchester’s diverse and wide-ranging business community with insightful profiles and in-depth reporting on local issues and trends.
- Responsible for all editorial duties as necessary including writing, editing, assigning in-house staff and freelancers, story ideas, research, proofing layouts, and attending business events and press conferences.
- Create editorial lineup for each issue, working with WM editor to flesh out the specifics and develop the best angles and treatments of stories. Responsible for the six print issues being finalized and delivered to press on schedule and completed within allotted budget.
- Review and approve layouts prior to circulation; collaborate with Creative Director to make enhancements or improvements to the layouts when necessary.
- Act as ambassador for the brand — providing interviews to media outlets, and represent the magazine at the company’s branded events (including hosting/emcee duties), and in the local community (at events, by participating on panels and roundtables sponsored by other organizations, and by accepting speaking engagements at colleges, institutions, etc.
For Westchester Magazine:
- Head up the monthly Home & Property section with idea generation, research, and writing.
- Assign/write two real estate feature cover stories (Best Places To Live; industry/market theme)
- Assign/write approx. 4 other features per year and assist other editors with features throughout the year (e.g., Best Of, Fashion).
- Function as travel editor, overseeing 2-3 features annually.
- Proof layouts.
Who We Are Looking For:
A knowledge of the Westchester business scene but also the county in general. The candidate should have at least 7 years of experience at a media company writing and editing, preferably in regional lifestyle categories. Business writing experience a must. S/he is energetic, loves living in Westchester, and has a stream of fresh ideas. S/he is highly collaborative and will get out in the community and walk the streets for ideas and establish contacts.
Does this position require me to work in-person in the Rye office?
Not currently. As an essential goods or services business, all Today Media offices are exempt from the mandated shutdowns, so the office was never closed – employees are given the option to work remotely, in-person, or some combination thereof based on their comfort level. At some point the company will change this policy.
Multi Media Account Managers
Today Media, publisher of Westchester Magazine (the county’s leading luxury lifestyle publication) and Hudson Valley Magazine (showcasing the Hudson Valley for over forty years) is looking for full-time multimedia account managers to join our growing team. In addition to supporting our flagship publications, responsibilities include selling several ancillary products including Westchester Home, 914INC. (Westchester County’s only lifestyle business magazine), Westchester & Hudson Valley Weddings Magazine, numerous digital products and event sponsorships. The Account Managers will be responsible for continuously prospecting for new business as well as servicing existing accounts.
The ideal candidate will have proven sales experience (print and digital preferred), exceptional written and oral communication skills, and be a self-starter and team player. S/he will desire a fast-moving opportunity in a competitive market and have extraordinary prospecting skills. Knowledge of the local Westchester and Hudson Valley markets is a plus. Proven ability to build and maintain strong client relationships, proficiency in sales/account management technology and strong negotiation skills are required.
Positions are available in both our Rye, NY and Fishkill, NY offices. Compensation package is commensurate with experience and includes salary plus commission as well as bonus opportunities and company paid benefits. If you want to work for a stable, well established and respected company, and have proven success in sales, please email a resume and cover letter (including compensation requirements) to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Resumes without salary and total compensation requirements will not be considered. Due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to respond to all applicants. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. EOE.
For more information on our products visit westchestermagazine.com or hvmag.com.
Westchester Magazine is a lifestyle magazine located in Rye, NY (25 miles north of Midtown Manhattan).
- We offer internships during the spring and fall semesters, as well as during the summer and winter breaks.
- All applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program.
- All applicants are required to obtain course credit for their internship.
Please see below for more details on internship options.
The Art/Photo Intern can be a full or part time position. It is unpaid and the student must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and receiving course credit. This internship is an opportunity to see how a monthly magazine and its website are put together.
The art/photo intern assists our creative directors, art assistant and photographers with all aspects of design and pre-production on our four titles: Westchester Magazine, 914INC, Westchester HOME, and Westchester/Hudson Valley Weddings.
- Calling for and researching photos
- Working in magazine layouts using Adobe CS6 InDesign
- Working with images in Photoshop
- Assisting in scheduling photo shoots, and helping out at the on-location and in-office shoots
- Working one-on-one with members of our art department
- Miscellaneous administrative tasks
To apply for this position please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital Editorial Internship
Do you have your own personal blog? Are you extremely active and engaged on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook? We want to talk to you! The ideal Digital Intern is driven; excited about the Internet and social media; will be active in pitching and writing local stories and unearthing new, exciting things to write about that affects Westchester and its diverse population; and will have some knowledge about social media, CMS platforms, or is highly interested and motivated in learning more. This is a hands-on internship where you will have the ability to gain digital media experience and digital writing clips.
The Digital Intern role can be a full or part-time position. It is unpaid and the student must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and receiving course credit. This internship is located in our Rye, NY office.
- Helping with any web projects and site improvements, as determined by digital editor
- Working one-on-one with members of our digital team
- Helping to edit and monitor our online calendar of events
- Data entry
- Researching and writing web exclusive stories
To apply for this position please email your resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to email@example.com.
The Editorial Intern can be a full or part time position. It is unpaid and the student must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and receiving course credit. This internship is an opportunity to see how a monthly magazine and its website are put together.
- Article research
- Contributing to our eight daily blogs and/or the magazine
- Working one-on-one with members of our editorial staff
- Assisting photo editor with acquiring photos for print articles
- Assisting staff with other functions necessary to produce a monthly magazine and its website (helping out on photo shoots, mailing issues of our magazines to the subjects and writers that contribute to our magazine, various administrative duties, etc.).
- Students interested in business and economics are encouraged to apply for an internship with our business magazine, 914INC.
- Students interested in home design, décor, and architecture are encouraged to apply for an internship with Westchester Home.
- Students interested in weddings, fashion, style, event planning, etc., are encouraged to apply for an internship with Westchester/Hudson Valley Weddings.
Interns also attend creative brainstorming sessions to plan and organize content for future issues.
To apply for this position please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Westchester Magazine is seeking bright, self-motivated and creative interns to work in our Marketing Department. You’ll gain hands-on experience in marketing as well as public relations, branding and event planning. This department works out of Rye, NY and supports all the New York based projects of parent company, Today Media, a successful multi-platform communications company. In print, online and in-person, we reach affluent consumers, delivering content they always look forward to. Today Media publishes four monthly lifestyle magazines and more than 10 specialty publications, increasing our reach and impressions in a highly sought after upscale demographic. We also create custom marketing solutions, develop new media business opportunities and host revenue-generating events. We employ nearly 200 people, covering a 5-state region on the East Coast. Our territory includes Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We have the highest commitment to quality, service and integrity when it comes to our audiences and each other.
- Must receive school credit
- Have a solid understanding of marketing
- Strong communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and general computer skills
- Report and work directly with the Marketing team
- Assist in coordination of all marketing related efforts
- Process information for mailings or promotions
- Communicate with sponsors, clients and prospects on upcoming signature events as well as client events
- Help in planning of all upcoming events
- Attend and Assist at events
- Help identify new event opportunities in order to build brand awareness
- Research and investigate new social media initiatives relative to our overall marketing efforts and goals
- Work on promoting events in the surrounding communities
- Assist with target marketing
- Help fulfill and develop marketing campaigns
To apply for this position please email your resume to email@example.com.
Westchester Magazine is seeking bright, self-motivated and creative interns to work in our Sales Department. You’ll gain hands-on experience in Sales as well as marketing, branding and event sponsorships. This department works out of Rye, NY and supports all the New York based projects of parent company, Today Media, a successful multi-platform communications company. In print, online and in-person, we reach affluent consumers, delivering content they always look forward to. Today Media publishes four monthly lifestyle magazines and more than 10 specialty publications, increasing our reach and impressions in a highly sought after upscale demographic. We also create custom marketing solutions, develop new media business opportunities and host revenue generating events. We employ nearly 200 people, covering a 5-state region on the East Coast. Our territory includes Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We have the highest commitment to quality, service and integrity when it comes to our audiences and each other.
- Must receive school credit
- Strong communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and general computer skills
- Assist the Sales Department
- Track and update the competitive print media report
- Perform all aspects of administrative duties such as filing, faxing, making copies, and mailing out media kits for the sales department.
- Research ad leads for various special as sections as instructed.
- Work directly with the account executives on various tasks such as tracking competitive reports, prospecting lead research.
- Maintaining the media kit\promotional section by organizing all the materials.
To apply for this position please email your resume and a brief cover letter of interest (including dates of availability) to Angie Boreland at firstname.lastname@example.org.