It’s a New Year and time for all of us to organize our homes. Over the years, I’ve had a lot of my friends take this on as their New Years resolution, and lose steam early on. However, it can be done. Organizing is not just about getting your stuff in order. Instead, it’s an ongoing process that requires a determined mindset and an accumulation of good habits.
Here are 5 tips to getting your home … and your mind, organized in 2016.
1) Make your Bed –During the hectic morning hours, time is of the essence. While it may seem impossible, it is very important to take a moment to make your bed before leaving the house. Conquering this task will significantly change your mental state and prepare you for the rest of the day.
2) De-Clutter – After the chaotic holiday season, clutter seems to pile up everywhere. Before clearing your home, it’s essential to clear your mind. Ease your way into the process by cleaning one room at a time. Analyze the reasons why you hold on to certain items. Is there sentimental value? Do you think you’ll need it one day? If there isn’t a valid reason, then put it in storage or donate it.
3) Create a Schedule – Designate certain days of the week for certain tasks. Try doing laundry on Sunday nights and organizing your home office on Monday mornings. Use your computer, cell phone, or a big whiteboard in the kitchen and take the time to write it out. Make a chart and check things off when you are done. Seeing all your chores written down makes them less intimidating.
4) Effective Storage Solutions – After you have cleared your mind and conquered your clutter, start thinking about storage. Whether you invest in baskets and bins or a custom storage system, make sure you are thinking strategically. Organize your belongings to make your life easier. Your most used belongings should be the easiest to access, while seldom-used items can be placed further away.
5) Label It – Labels will help you keep stored items neat, tidy and easy to find. Putting things in storage helps create space in your house, but don’t let things disappear in your storage space. Labeling your belongings will help avoid stressful searching.
Most importantly, stay focused and remember that this is the time for new beginnings. By following these tips, you’ll be sure to have a happy and organized New Year!